Thyroid Surgery (Thyroidectomy)
Thyroid surgery becomes necessary when the thyroid produces excess hormones or develops structural problems like the growth of cysts and swelling.The surgery involves removing all or part of the thyroid gland. Our surgeon, Dr. Prasad has the experience and expertise in performing thyroid surgery for treating thyroid problems.
Reasons for Thyroid Surgery
Thyroid surgery is recommended in the following conditions:
- Noncancerous enlargement of the thyroid (goiter) that causes difficulty in breathing and swallowing
- Hyperthyroidism: when the thyroid overproduces the hormone thyroxine
- Thyroid cancer
- Problems with antithyroid drugs and radioactive iodine therapy
Types of Thyroid Surgery
The most common types of thyroid surgery are:
- Lobectomy – when only one of the two lobes is removed.
- Subtotal thyroidectomy – when the thyroid gland is removed, but a small amount of thyroid tissue is left behind.
- Total thyroidectomy – when the entire thyroid gland and the thyroid tissue is removed.
How Is Thyroid Surgery Performed?
Your surgeon will use general anesthesia during the procedure. Several monitors are placed on your body to ensure your blood pressure, heart rate, and blood oxygen are at safe levels throughout the surgical procedure. The surgeon makes an incision in the neck or several incisions around the thyroid. All or part of the thyroid gland is removed depending on the type of surgical procedure. If you have thyroid cancer, the surgeon may remove lymph nodes around the thyroid.
The main approaches to thyroidectomy are:
- Conventional thyroidectomy in which an incision is made in the center of the neck.
- Laparoscopic thyroidectomy in which smaller incisions are made in the neck through which a small video camera and surgical instruments are inserted.
Why Choose Us for Thyroid Surgery?
At Alaska cancer treatment center Far North Surgery, we use the latest techniques, tools, and surgical procedures to treat thyroid problems. Our surgeon Dr. Madhu Prasad uses laparoscopic or minimally invasive surgery in treating thyroid problems and thyroid cancer.
Dr. Madhu Prasad has over 30+ years of experience working as a general surgeon and surgical oncologist and providing the highest level of care in Anchorage, Alaska. He believes in providing quality care to patients and their families. Inspired by compassion and humanism, Dr. Prasad and his team work for the well-being of their patients. Click here to know more about him.