The rectum is the last 4 or 5-inch portion of the large intestine that ends at the anus. Rectal and anal conditions that require surgery may show symptoms or signs of pain, bleeding, or discharge. Our surgeon Dr. Madhu Prasad is highly experienced and utilizes the most advanced and minimally invasive surgical procedures to treat such conditions.
Rectal & Anal Conditions That Require Surgery
The most common rectal and anal conditions that may eventually require surgery are:
- Rectal prolapse: A condition common with children and the elderly in which the tissue lining the rectum and part of the large intestine slips down through the anal opening
- Hemorrhoids: These are swollen, and painful veins located near the rectum and anal area. Surgery may be required for advanced conditions when the vein bleeds excessively and prolapse (stick out)
- Anal abscesses or fistula: Abscesses are the infected anal gland sites that are filled with puss while fistula is the result of the unhealed abscess
- Anal fissures: Tearing in the lining of the anal canal. This may require surgery only if the condition persists even after several weeks of precaution and medication
- Rectal cancer: A disease in which malignant cells form in the tissue of the rectum
Dr. Madhu Prasad has over 30+ years of experience working as a general surgeon and surgical oncologist and providing the highest level of care in Anchorage, Alaska. He believes in providing quality care to patients and their families. Inspired by compassion and humanism, Dr. Prasad and his team work for the well-being of their patients. Click here to know more about him.