Small intestine surgery, also called a small bowel resection, is performed to treat conditions that cause inflammation, infections, ulcers, or blockages in the small intestine. Our surgeon, Dr. Prasad, is highly experienced in performing the most advanced, minimally invasive procedures for treating these conditions.
Reasons for Small Intestine Surgery
Conditions or diseases that may require small intestine surgery include:
- Bleeding, blockage, infection, or ulcers in the small intestine
- Injuries to the small intestine
- Precancerous polyps
- Noncancerous tumors
- Crohn’s disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Bile duct conditions
Common Tests to Diagnose Small Intestine Problems
The following tests are performed to diagnose problems with your small intestine:
- Several gastroenterology tests
- CT scans
- Video capsule endoscopy – in which a miniature pill-sized camera is swallowed. The camera takes images of the small intestine, transmits them, and is finally expelled.
Small Intestine Surgical Procedure
In small intestine or small bowel, resection surgery, your surgeon repairs or removes part of your small bowel. Your surgery will be performed using the most up-to-date surgical techniques to facilitate faster healing times. Dr. Prasad will choose the safest, most optimal surgical procedure to treat your disorder. Although most surgeries can be performed by a minimally invasive route, some disorders require a standard open procedure.
- In open surgery, the surgeon makes a large incision of 6 to 8 inches in the mid-belly. The affected part of the small intestine is located and removed. In laparoscopic surgery, the surgeon makes 3-5 small incisions in the lower belly. A laparoscope and other medical instruments are inserted through these incisions to locate and remove the diseased bowel.
- In open surgery, the surgeon makes a large incision of 6 to 8 inches in the mid-belly. The affected part of the small intestine is located and removed.
Why Choose Us for Small Intestine Surgery?
At Far North Surgery, we believe that our patients deserve access to world-class medical care and treatment. We combine advanced surgical procedures with compassionate care to help our patients regain a normal and healthy life.
Call us at 907-276-3676 to schedule an appointment.
Dr. Madhu Prasad has over 30+ years of experience working as a general surgeon and surgical oncologist and providing the highest level of care in Anchorage, Alaska. He believes in providing quality care to patients and their families. Inspired by compassion and humanism, Dr. Prasad and his team work for the well-being of their patients. Click here to know more about him.