A hiatal hernia develops when the stomach pushes through the diaphragm and into the chest. A small hiatal hernia can be treated with medication while a large hiatal hernia may require surgery. Our surgeon, Dr. Prasad has the experience and expertise to treat hiatal hernias with successful outcomes.
Causes of Hiatal Hernia
Any of the following factors may cause a hiatal hernia:
- Being born with a large hiatal opening
- Increased pressure on the abdomen due to vomiting, coughing, straining during bowel movements, lifting heavy objects, or exercising
- Extra fluid in the abdomen
- Injury, trauma, or any surgery around the area
Symptoms of Hiatal Hernia
In most of the cases, you may not have any signs or symptoms. However, you may experience:
- Chest or abdominal pain
- Acid reflux
- Difficulty swallowing
- Shortness of breath
When Do You Need Hiatal Surgery?
Not everyone with a hiatal hernia requires surgery. Hiatal hernia surgery is needed in cases where other treatments have not worked well or if you experience the following symptoms:
- Narrowing of the esophagus
How Is Hiatal Surgery Performed?
Hiatal surgery can be performed in the following ways:
- Open repair – During this surgical procedure, the surgeon makes one large incision in the abdomen. Then they pull the stomach back and wrap it around the lower part of the esophagus. This creates a tight sphincter preventing stomach acid reflux into the esophagus.
- Laparoscopic repair – During this minimally invasive procedure, several small incisions are made in the abdomen. The surgical instruments and the laparoscope are placed through these incisions which guide the surgeon during the procedure.
At Far North Surgery, we use state-of-the-art technology, the latest equipment, and safe and advanced surgical procedures to ensure a comfortable and stress-free environment for our patients. Our surgeon, Dr. Madhu Prasad (General Surgeon and Oncologist in Alaska) brings world-class skills in performing hiatal hernia surgery with better outcomes and shorter recovery time.
Dr. Madhu Prasad has over 30+ years of experience working as a general surgeon and surgical oncologist and providing the highest level of care in Anchorage, Alaska. He believes in providing quality care to patients and their families. Inspired by compassion and humanism, Dr. Prasad and his team work for the well-being of their patients. Click here to know more about him.